Wednesday, June 17, 2009

An adult afternoon


Yesterday afternoon Jeff and Whinney took Bob, Vicky, Tim and I into a city about 2 hours away. We let the students stay at the refuge center to hang out with the kids and the adults got some time to be alone for a bit. The town we went to was absolutely mind blowing. The other day, as we went to Manila, Jeff told us that the Philippines is the richest 3rd world country in the world. There is more wealth here in the Philippines than there is in the other places. At the same time, everything we had seen didn't show us that side. The town we visited gave us that other perspective. The town Tanguay (?) sits on the top of a mountain that overlooks a lake created by the volcano. On a clear day, they say the view is breathtaking. Although it was raining and really cloudy what we did see was really nice and I could only imagine how pretty it is on other days. It reminded me of a drive along the blue sky way that we took as a family several years ago. What shocks me about this city is that it isn't all wealthy. There are huge beautiful homes that sit right next to squatter houses. Most areas you have the wealthy neighborhood, with the better schools, nicer stores and then go a couple blocks or the next town and there is the poorer neighborhoods. Here it is all lumped together. As the wealthy home owner walks to the end of his/her gated driveway they look out on homes made out of scraps. You would think that there would be more care for the poor than there is. There is no denying the poor out here. It is right in front of your face but yet it's clear that nothing is being done. In some ways, maybe we are the same. Maybe it is no different in our country. Although there are a lot of things that we are a part of to make a difference with our neighbors maybe in some ways we are just as guilty.

For dinner we went to the cutest coffee shop ever. It was an English pub that was built into the side of the mountain. Walking down the steps was like walking into the rain forest. The flowers were gorgeous, the way the tables were set up in little huts was amazing. We had a chicken pot pie for dinner. Weird that I go all the way the Philippines for my first ever chicken pot pie but it was alright. I am not much of a pie crust person so I wouldn't make a habit of eating them but at this point in the trip there are a lot of things that are tasting good that I normally wouldn't choose.

The way home was quite the adventure. The fog was so bad that you couldn't see more than a foot or two in front of the car. Although the climb of the mountain was full of dangerous twists and turns, the ride down was more excitement then I could handle at times. At times I felt like I was back in Rwanda ready to go off the next cliff. Before one of the curves there was a sign posted that read, "Daddy, we love you please drive carefully." We laughed for quite awhile but then as we drove the curve we realized how dangerous it really was.

It was a great afternoon. I needed some time to just be with adults for a bit.

1 comment:

Ellen aka Ellie said...

We do the same thing here, ignore the poor, but we also help them. I guess it seems like we're ignoring them because we aren't doing enough?

I drive through parts of Aurora everyday that break my heart, and I'd like to be able to do something, but what?

I console myself, blindly, that as a teacher, every time God uses me to help a child read, write, do math, or make a friend, I am helping. I can't do everything, but I can do something.

This is true of you there, too. And when you return, you will carry this all with you, and your vision of the world and the need for change will impact others.

I am so blessed to know you, and I am learning so much from your reflections.